Skip to main content

It may not be your first thought but taking out insurance on your holiday home is important. Just like with your home, this will help to protect you against any damage or break ins that could happen. Without it you could be costing yourself a lot of money as well as causing unnecessary stress.

At Perfect Parks our Perfect Guide to Insuring Your Holiday Home covers the aspects of static caravan and lodge insurance that you need to know about.

What Is It?

In basic terms it is an insurance which provides cover for your holiday home. It’s broken down into two areas like property insurance is normally – buildings and contents. Buildings covers any structure in the event of damage. This can be from storms, fire, flood, subsidence, gates, fencing, outbuildings and more. Contents covers the items within the unit including furnishings as well as personal belongings.

You may be wondering what the difference is between insuring your house and your holiday home. From the outset they don’t seem much different. Although, you need to remember that a caravan or lodge is likely to be empty or unoccupied for long periods of time. To any insurer this is a risk as there is more chance that damage or theft could occur. To add to this, letting out your holiday could increase this risk.

Types Of Insurance.

The majority of holiday home insurance policies will not provide cover if it will be left vacant for more than 30 days a year. Naturally, this makes it more difficult to get buildings and contents insurance for your caravan or lodge. It isn’t impossible to find the right cover and there are several specialists out there who are always willing to help.

When picking a policy, you should decide which policy type is right for you. Typically you can pick between new for old and market value. You should also make sure that public liability and third party liability are included.

Another aspect to check is to see if the policy will cover all year round, even when the site is in downtime.

Leave a Reply